SWTCC
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Getting started

4 posters

Go down

Getting started  Empty Getting started

Post by haydo Sun Mar 06, 2011 6:40 pm

i am just getting started in autocross and was wondering if anyone could give me some pointers on what i will need to do to my car to get it ready it's a vr commodore (only thing i could fit into)..

haydo
L Plates
L Plates

Number of posts : 1
Registration date : 2011-03-06

Back to top Go down

Getting started  Empty Re: Getting started

Post by grasshopper Mon Mar 07, 2011 2:47 pm

Minumin you need is a 900gram fire extenguisher with a metal bracket and the posative battery terminal completly coverd a blue triangle with sides of at least 150mm on the out side of the car to show where the battery is located also a l2s cams Lic and a SWTCC club membership. if you give me a ring on 97960323 I will help you through the process.
Ron

grasshopper
Living Sideways
Living Sideways

Number of posts : 119
Registration date : 2008-10-05

Back to top Go down

Post by Team Carnage Thu Jun 30, 2011 10:22 pm

We are getting a car ready for the next round for the first time also.
When you say you need the pos batt terminal completely covered do you mean like some thin rubber sheeting cable tied around it would be OK?
I have heard you need to have 2 x throttle return springs also which I have done.
Our windscreen also has a small crack is that OK?
Cheers
Paul.
Team Carnage
Team Carnage
L Plates
L Plates

Number of posts : 6
Registration date : 2011-06-22

Back to top Go down

Post by grasshopper Sat Jul 02, 2011 10:10 pm

You are right you do need 2 return springs and the positive of the battery need to be coverd so it can not come incontact with any metal of the car should you hit a barrier. The scrutineer will tell you on the day about the windscreen so long as it does not block your vision, you will need to get a entry form in prior to the event so if you need one email mail me and I will send 1 to you. If you dont have a cams lic and club membership you can pay them both on the day of your first event. My email address is cortina248@westnet.com.au

grasshopper
Living Sideways
Living Sideways

Number of posts : 119

Back to top Go down

Post by Rosco Sat Jul 02, 2011 10:35 pm

OK, Fuel injected cars don't need two return springs as they are controlled by the ECU, they have 1 factory fitted as a safeguard. The windscreen is the same as for roadworthy cars, if it affects your vision, it is no good. You need a decent seat belt, not frayed etc. You cant have sharp objects inside the car that may cut you. Door skins on both front doors are a must. Seat for driver to be secure. Battery to be secure with positive terminal isolated. No excessive play in any wheel bearings or steering gear. No fluid leaks, brake, oil etc. Fuel lines in good condition. No excessive body damage (car, not driver). Tow points, front & rear to be clearly marked. Driver to have Non flammable clothing from toe to neck & a helmet in good condition that fits properly. Have all that done & you wont upset me, you're half way to winning your grade, The other half is getting past the Hasties, another story.... Oh yeah, Firewalls to be sealed so flames can't get through, sounds a lot but most cars comply anyway.
Have fun!!!!
Rosco
Rosco
I eat dirt
I eat dirt

Number of posts : 244

Back to top Go down

Post by Team Carnage Sun Jul 03, 2011 8:29 am

Cheers Guys.
See you at Round 3.